In today’s difficult economy, the legal job market is becoming increasingly competitive. If you are given the opportunity to interview, you have a chance to set yourself apart from other candidates by creating a lasting impression on your potential employer. There are many things that you can do in an interview to up your odds in landing a position when all other variables (such as experience and education) are similar or equal.
Tips for Interview Success
- Prepare, prepare, prepare. Research the company and prepare a few answers for potential interview questions.
- Review your application and resume.
- Approach your interviewer with an air of confidence and professionalism.
- Offer a firm hand shake and maintain eye contact.
- Listen carefully to the interviewer’s questions and make sure your answers are concise and to the point.
- Follow the lead of the interviewer; Don’t take charge of the conversation.
- Demonstrate why you deserve the job - not why other candidates don’t.
- Follow up. A promptly written thank-you card or email should be used to show appreciation and reiterate your interest in the position and in the organization.